Does Lysol Kill Mold And Its Spores?

Finding mold and mildew in your home is an unpleasant and sometimes smelly affair that can also cause allergic reactions in some people.

It is for these reasons that mold should be removed as soon as it is spotted. Lysol, is a powerful cleaning agent that is available in most large stores, but the question we will be answering today is, “does Lysol kill mold?”

We will be answering this question, whilst also covering plenty of other mold-related Lysol questions, so if you are looking to learn everything you need to know about Lysol and its mold-removing abilities, keep reading!

Lysol Power and Free kills mold due to its high level of hydrogen peroxide (0.88%). Peroxide at this concentration has been shown to effectively remove and kill mold spores. The potassium hydroxide, ethanol, and isopropyl alcohol contained in the solution will also kill 99% of bacteria in the home.

Does Lysol kill mold

What is Lysol and can it kill mold?

Lysol is a US brand of all-purpose disinfectant sold in most large department stores. It can be used on most surfaces in the home and is typically used for killing viruses and bacteria, as well as cleaning soap scum and removing grease.

Its main active ingredient is benzalkonium chloride, however, hydrogen peroxide is the active ingredient for the “power and free” range, which is commonly used to kill mold and mildew.

If you use the standard anti-bacterial versions of Lysol, it is unlikely to do anything other than clean mold off surfaces, but importantly, it will not stop it from coming back as the underlying mold has not been killed.

Only Lysol products with higher concentrations of hydrogen peroxide (0/88%), are powerful enough to actually kill mold spores.

How to kill mold with Lysol

To kill mold effectively using Lysol “power and Free”, use the following steps.

  1. For safety, wear a mask, protective rubber gloves, and eye protection
  2. Spray the affected areas and leave to soak for at least 20 minutes
  3. Use a soft-bristled brush or abrasive sponge to gently scrub the area clean to not damage the surface you are cleaning
  4. Wipe away any excess liquid and rinse with a damp, clean cloth
  5. Repeat these above steps if required to treat more stubborn mold

How to kill mold with Lysol safely

Whilst the above steps are an effective way to clean and remove mold, Lysol is a powerful cleaning agent, therefore, additional measures should also be taken to ensure your safety whilst cleaning your home.

The active main ingredient in the “Power and Free” range is hydrogen peroxide, which can cause skin irritation and breathing difficulties if inhaled. It is also unwise to mix hydrogen peroxide with any other cleaning liquids, as they can create potentially deadly gasses.

The following steps will help you to use Lysol “power and Free” to remove mold from your home whilst staying safe.

  1. Always ensure you are using Lysol in a well-ventilated area
  2. Wear protective clothing such as goggles, rubber gloves, and a mask to prevent inhalation
  3. Never spray onto the body and rinse with water straight away if this occurs

How to kill mold on walls with Lysol

Lysol spray can not only be used in small patches of mold but can also be used on larger surfaces such as walls. In order to use Lysol Power and Free to kill mold on these surfaces, use the following steps.

  1. Clean the surface with a solution of warm water and dish soap
  2. Dry the wall using a cloth or let air dry
  3. Spray the affected area liberally with Lysol
  4. Leave the solution on the surface for 10 minutes
  5. Using an abrasive sponge, wipe the wall clean
  6. Use water and a cloth to remove any residue

As you will be working over a larger surface area that will require more Lysol spray, it is imperative that you wear a mask and ensure you are working in a well-ventilated room. Open doors and windows to allow any fumes to dissipate.

Cleaning agents such as Lysol can cause damage to painted surfaces. If you are concerned about this, you can lightly dilute Lysol with water and apply it to the surface using a spray bottle.

If you have diluted Lysol, you may need to allow an additional 10 minutes for it to work before wiping the surface clean.

How long does Lysol take to kill mold?

Lysol has the ability to kill mold within 20 minutes or so, this is down to the hydrogen peroxide within the solution.

Hydrogen peroxide kills mold by releasing oxygen which oxidizes the surface of the mold. This begins to break down the mold and eventually, kill it.

How long does Lysol smell linger?

The smell of Lysol after being applied to a surface will linger for anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes.

You can lessen this by opening windows and increasing airflow to the room as much as possible.

The amount of the product used will determine how long the smell lasts. For example, whereas a small amount applied to a cushion or kitchen counter may only take 10 minutes to lose its scent, larger surfaces require more solution, meaning the smell could linger for 20 to 30 minutes.

Will Lysol kill mold in the carpet?

Standard Lysol (disinfectant) can be applied to carpets in order to kill bacteria, however, this product is not powerful enough to kill mold spores.

Lysol “power and free”, has the ability to kill mold spores due to its hydrogen peroxide, however, as explained in the previous answer, hydrogen peroxide can damage and discolor fabrics, so it is not recommended you use this product on carpets.

Lysol vs vinegar for mold

As we have seen that Lysol “power and free” can kill mold but may damage fabrics, it is better to use vinegar to clean more delicate fabrics.

The acidity levels in vinegar are high enough to kill mold spores, but not high enough to damage fabrics, so if you have mold building up on cushions or clothes, you would be better off using vinegar.

For surfaces that are less delicate, such as kitchen countertops and fridges, Lysol is an effective way of killing mold spores that is unlikely to cause damage unless left on the surface for a prolonged period of time.

Does Lysol kill mold spores in the air?

Spraying Lysol in the air in order to try to kill mold spores is not effective. Lysol Power and Free can kill mold spores on surfaces, but not those in the air.

In order for you to completely rid your property of airborne mold spores, hydrogen peroxide can be used, however, a specialist will need to be hired to do this, as it requires a fogging machine and will need specific knowledge in order to do so safely as the chemicals used are highly toxic.

What types of mold does Lysol kill?

Whilst molds may look and smell similar, there are many different types, and Lysol is not able to kill all of them.

The company has declared that there are five types of mold that can be killed by Lysol, and they are the following:

  • Candida albicans
  • Fusarium solani
  • Alternaria
  • Aspergillus Niger (black mold)
  • Penicillium chrysogenum

Will Lysol stop mold from coming back?

Mold can be removed and killed by Lysol “power and free”, however, it will still continue to breed and return if the environment it was found in is not changed.

For example, if mold was found in a room that has high moisture, low airflow, and is dimly lit, it’s highly likely it will reappear after only a short time.

To prevent mold from returning, take measures to increase airflow, increase natural sunlight, and keep the humidity level below 50%, as, at this level, mold will not be about to regrow.

Do Lysol wipes kill mold?

Lysol wipes will help in cleaning a surface that has mold, but they will not kill mold spores. Bacteria can be killed with the wipes, but any removed mold is likely to return.

Lysol “power and free” is more effective at killing mold, as it contains high levels of hydrogen peroxide, a chemical known to be powerful enough to kill mold.


By the end of reading this article, you should fully understand the part that Lysol Power and Free can play in removing and even killing mold. The standard Lysol anti-bacterial wipes and sprays do not contain the same powerful cleaning agents that Lysol Power and Free do, so using these will not help to rid you of your mold problems.

Chris Walker

Chris Walker has struggled for several years with mold after buying his own property. After finding the solutions to several issues around his home, he decided to create this site in order to answer as many questions about mold and mildew as possible to help others dealing with the same problems.

Recent Posts